Sunday, December 27, 2009

Dreaming of Africa.

I'm going to Ghana this summer, and i'm incredibly excited about it.
It all started at orientation this year. I saw a presentation on the trip, and immediately knew it was something I was really interested in, yet I wasn't quite certain I was up to it. I mean in all honesty going to Africa was never something I considered.

I got lucky enough to get a chance to speak to Dr. Virginia LeBlanc one on one, as she was kind enough to drive me home after an event. She encouraged me to look in to the program and consider applying, and from that point on my interest grew steadily.

Everyday I'd check to see if the application was up, and eventually it came! It prompted me to write a 1,000 word, research-based essay on why I wished to go to Ghana. Through my research I was further convinced of how much I want to partake in this life-changing experience. A few weeks after that I was interviewed, and then told I had been selected to take part in the trip.

I have recently reviewed my itinerary, and it only serves to build my excitement! I've been looking up some of the places I'll be going, and cannot express how grateful and astounded I am to know that soon I'll be able to experience them for myself.

I'll be gone for a month this summer, and though I cannot show (or even find!) all of the places I'll be visiting, I thought I'd share some of the key points.



I will be arriving in Accra, Ghana's capital.










Then volunteering at Bepong Jr. High, in Mpraeso.













Stopping by Kintampo Falls.










Going on a Safari in Mole National Park.









Seeing an important mosque in Larabanga.











Visiting Nzulezu, a village on stilts.








Touring the Elmina and Cape Coast slave castles.





Going to the village of Tafi-Atome.











Experiencing the people of Lake Volta










And most exciting of all for me, encountering and interacting with the beautiful people of Ghana








I cannot even begin to explain how incredibly excited I am for this experience. I will be keeping a journal and taking many pictures, and hopefully will be able to publish them on this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment